Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Apr 1, 2008

Moving On Up

Every day as I walk into school, I pass several houses rented out to college students. They are typical college kid houses, once lovely, single family homes chopped up into several apartments. Close to campus, ghastly overpriced. In the last few weeks, several of them have gone up for rent. One is even vacant, allowing me to go up on the porch and peek inside.

Let me set one thing straight first, and that is that I love my house. Patrick and I have owned and lived in our house for almost three years and it's perfect. That does not stop me from wanting to pack everything up and move, sadly.

The problem is that I was on my own for a little too long, which required moving at least once a year, sometimes several. Especially when I was singing, as you singers out there can confirm, I was all over the place. That was one of the things that I hated about the business - that I didn't have a place to call home.

Now that I do, I have such an itch to keep on a-movin'. I haven't lived in the same place for more than a year since I was in high school, which was TEN years ago. (I am old.) It is simply ingrained in me to pack light and keep moving. Except, now I have a house and a house-full of stuff and a whole army of pets. And I feel so weighed down.

I have felt this way for the last two springs, and this one, clearly, is no different. Maybe this can be an annual post.

Hm. Look at me, planning for the future. Since when do I do that?

Who am I and where did my free-spirit go?

2 Readers rock!:

Anonymous said...

How funny, I have been looking at houses too! I keep finding old houses for sale, and I want to buy them...
Plus I just visited someone at University Lofts and thought "How nice to have an apt."
BTW your magnolia in front of your house is gorgeous, I was on your street yesterday and saw it in all its glory!
From one gypsy to another...
Martha

Alykat said...

I have to second Martha's comment- I passed your house when I was out running errands for the clinic Monday and coveted your tree! I am also dying to move, but will probably be stuck in this tiny apartment for another year. Where has the nomadic life gone?