Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

May 6, 2008

Cherish

Even though med school can be a total drag and really put strain on my social life, I want to publicly announce that I love it. I love med school. I love the people and the pursuit and the opportunities that it allows. I am so, so grateful that I here in the first place and don't ever want to give the impression that I take it for granted. It has been difficult recently to keep that in perspective, what with the onslaught of exams and lack of sleep, not to mention the substantial distraction that is the Turnip, but I want to reaffirm that sentiment.

I also count myself as lucky that I had a life before med school, which means that, from time to time, I am reminded to keep my priorities straight and keep my life. This manifests itself in odd ways; sometimes it means sacrificing grades to hang out with my sisters, while other times it means not studying for an hour so I can connect with the hubster. As much as I love all the learning and growth, I love the people in my life more.

Today an old, dear, and nearly lost friend came to visit me for lunch and it was like something out of someone else's life. I slept in this morning, showered and put make-up on, and we went out to a lovely, leisurely lunch, where we sat outside and caught up on our respective lives. It was, again, something so normal and, simultaneously, sublime. While I wish that my life had more of these days in it, I am glad for the chance to cherish the ones that are. I don't know that you can appreciate the sweetness of spring until you miss most of it, and then catch it just at the end.

I'm planning to start studying for boards tomorrow, so let's all try to keep this positive, loving, rested, happy attitude, shall we?

1 Readers rock!:

Anonymous said...

I love this statement you made: "I don't know that you can appreciate the sweetness of spring until you miss most of it, and then catch it just at the end." That could be a metaphor for so many things.
Tiff