Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Aug 4, 2008

Cushion

My class started 3rd year today. I have kept busy by cleaning my house and having a long lunch with an old friend from high school, but I couldn't help but think about my friends all day long. What are they up to? Are they still in orientation or have they moved on to the good stuff yet? Has anyone been yelled at? Has anyone caught a baby yet? I'm dying to know and dying to be with them.

On the other hand, I am completely exhausted today and don't know if I would have had anything to contribute today. We had an absolutely lovely shower yesterday and there were tons of people and so much to catch up on. I am constantly amazed by people's generosity, both in terms of gifts as well as spirit and excitement. I felt so lucky to be surrounded by such positive, supportive, happy women. There are few things in the world that I could want more than that. Everyone who was there yesterday had something going on in her life that she was excited about. One woman just became a grandmother again and was bursting with excitement about it. Several of the girls my age were looking forward to starting back to school or pleased with the new work-day care arrangement. In such an endless line of happiness, they all still found time and energy to be excited for me. For us. For the Turnip. Most of the women who were there are mothers, and they were so encouraging and reassuring, so excited for me to join their ranks. They got several good chuckles when I opened something and didn't know what it was, only that it had puppies or elephants on it, and thus declared it was good. Or when I opened an adorable little outfit with Winnie the Pooh on it and exclaimed, "Aw! It's a sleeper with poo(h) on it!"

I am still frustrated about the decision to delay 3rd year, but I am confident that I will get over this feeling soon. If not before the Turnip joins us, then certainly after. Today is a difficult day knowing that all of my friends are moving on to what I have been looking forward to so much, but I am comforted by the love and support of so many women who are wiser than I am.

2 Readers rock!:

The Shrink said...

As you say, when you've a wee bundle in your arms, things will feel very different.

For now, isn't it nice to know that there's a much more civilised pace to a frantic career, with time out from the frenetic rushing?

XE said...

Hey Katie!
Sorry I haven't been commenting too much, I got google reader and that curbed the comment-leaving quite a bit! Your shower sounds lovely, and I'm really excited for you about The Turnip :)
I can empathize with the difficult decision to delay school, I struggled with the same decision when my mom was sick. However, as others have said, once you have that little kiddo in your arms you'll be glad for some time with him, of that I'm sure :)
Best of luck with everything, and enjoy the Twilight books! (Maybe you can bring one to distract you in early labour? I don't know about you, but I was so absorbed in the book that I literally couldn't put it down, and I'm thinking that that amount of focus on something other than your labour pain might be a good thing :) )