Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Nov 17, 2008

I'm Baaaaaaaack!

Yesterday marked my triumphant return to exercise!

Actually, it was almost laughable. Before I left yesterday, the Baby Mama and I went to an Ashtanga class at the yoga studio where she goes. It was the first time I'd done any real yoga or exercise since before Colin was born and YOWZA. The struggle it was to do one lousy Sun Salutation! Today, I can barely lift my arms and standing from the couch requires an audible grunt. But it feels so, so good.

I remember the very first Ashtanga class I ever attended. I went by mistake, thinking it was an advanced Hatha yoga class. So very wrong I was. I could barely walk for days. I was working retail then and I have never been in so much pain (excepting, of course, for birthing the 8.5 pound Turnip). But after recovering from my initial encounter, I fell in love with it. I have been practicing on and off for about 8 years, but very seriously for the two years before becoming pregnant. Then, when I tried to practice, I found that my body just wouldn't have it. I could swim, I could run (awkwardly), I could do many things. But yoga was not possible, as it would induce almost immediate vomiting or fainting. BOO.

I have been counting the days, celebrating the weeks of Colin's life and my postpartum trek back to yoga. Yesterday, before the class, I was terrified that, I don't know, my uterus would fall out or something. I was afraid of how it would go, afraid I'd have forgotten everything, afraid that I would be so far out of shape that I'd never find my way back. I wanted to back out, put it off. But I did it, thanks to the Baby Mama, and now, though I am nearly handicapped by my aching muscles, I am back in the game!

(Well, I'll be back in the game tomorrow. I tried to do a couple of rounds of Sun Salutations tonight and actually screamed out loud. So, rest tonight. Yoga again tomorrow. Good game.)

0 Readers rock!: