Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Jul 9, 2009

Detour

I wish I could say that the reason I've been silent for the last week is because I've been having a great time on outpatient peds, and that I have all kinds of fabulous stories to tell you.

Unfortunately, I have had a learning experience of a different kind. The kind that I SWORE I was through with after that bout with appendicitis in January. The kind that starts in the darkened bedroom, waking up Patrick at 4:30am, complaining of excruciating pain, goes through walking into an ER at 6:55am and being seen by a doctor at 7:05am, and ends with emergency surgery.

Everything is fine now. I am home, Colin is home with me, and I am being filled in on the last three days of my life. I don't remember much of anything - in fact, I have forgotten so much that it is already a running joke in my family - but I know enough to tell you the story.

Later. My pain medicine just kicked in and I'm drooling again.

(P.S. Just so you're not kept in crazy suspense, it was a 7mm obstructing kidney stone causing hydronephrosis and hydroureter that needed extraction under general anesthesia. Following this came muscle spasms from which I am still recovering. Woo, medicine in action!)

5 Readers rock!:

Alykat said...

Seriously, enough with the overachieving- most people are content to just be the doctor OR the patient... not both!

Feel better! :)

Katie said...

You poor thing! I am glad you are on the mend and will hope for a speedy recovery (and no more learning by experience!)

Dragonfly said...

Oh my gosh, hope you recover asap. I guess you are in a position to say if it is in fact comparable to childbirth.... Sending good thoughts your way...

XE said...

Ouch. Oh my gosh, I'm glad you're okay! That really sucks that you've had to be in the hospital three times though, in the last year :( Hope you stay well as can be forever now!

Tiffany said...

OH MY! That's nuts! Sorry, I missed this post earlier; I'm sure you are all better now.