Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Nov 25, 2009

'Tis the Season

We are all being bombarded by thankfulness and gratitude, are we not? It is “I am so blessed…” and “I am so thankful…” and “I am so lucky…”

I love this time of year, when we are reminded and encouraged and expected to show gratitude and generosity above all else. So, before the opportunity escapes me, allow me to do the same.

I was on call overnight last night. Things were crazy and we were so busy that I did not eat or drink anything, use the restroom, or even sit down for more than eight hours. It was among the most incredible experiences of my professional life. I am so, so grateful for the opportunity to be where I am.

This evening, Patrick, Colin, and I went out for burritos for dinner and it happened to be the evening that Colin discovered a deep, deep love for grilled and marinated chicken. He bounced up and down in his seat, throwing himself forward and closer to the plate holding his dinner. He moaned for more and we could barely get it to him fast enough. After he’d finished, he sat back in his highchair, a satisfied smile on his lips, and laughed. Patrick and I laughed back. The more he laughed, the more we giggled. The more we cackled, the more he cracked himself up. It was one moment in a lifetime, but a moment of joy and happiness and contentment and togetherness, and one for which I am grateful.

My family is healthy and content. We all love each other more than we thought possible, every day more than the last.

I never thought I could be this lucky.

0 Readers rock!: