Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Dec 5, 2009

Humility

This week has been a little slow on the operating front, but sadly no less time was spent at the hospital. I spent almost my entire week in clinic and have officially and finally learned the following: I am not cut out for clinic. I actually kind of hate clinic. I get moody and agitated and I pace and whine and am generally really annoying. So as important as it is to discover that I don’t like to be in clinic for my own career, I think it is also crucial to have discovered this for the sake of my future colleagues.

One important teaching point that came up this week was during a routine follow-up appointment. This person had surgery for breast cancer 15 years ago, has been disease free since then, and now gets only annual exams and imaging. I went in to see her before the attending.

KATIE
Okay, I think that wraps up the questions I have for you. Now I’ll examine you, then your doctor will come in and join us.

PATIENT
Okay.

KATIE
(palpating and examining)
Does this hurt at all?

PATIENT
Nope.

KATIE
(squeezing nipples to check for discharge)
Have you noticed any bleeding or discharge from here?

PATIENT
That would be really weird seeing as these nipples are tattoos. My real ones were removed 15 years ago with my breast cancer surgery.

(silence)

KATIE
(moving on to different part of exam)
That would be weird.

I guess that’s why I’m still in school. I will say that this moment made me pay more attention in clinic, as I clearly proved that I don’t (and never will) know everything.

1 Readers rock!:

Dragonfly said...

But you know what? If you hadn't had a moment like that yet....you would be SOO due for one. So now you can relax :-)