Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Dec 21, 2009

Switch it Up

So surgery ended (I'm working on a "Part Two" to finish out that story) and OB has started and I'm counting the minutes until the holiday break. I haven't slept much in the past few days - being on call didn't help that pattern - and on top of still being tired from surgery, I am walking into walls over here. I almost spilled my beer a little bit ago and burst into tears. I didn't even actually spill it. Yeah, that's what we're dealing with. At least there is beer involved, though. That's something.

Patrick has one overnight call left, and I have two days of work, and then we are off together for FIVE WHOLE DAYS. TOGETHER. This is unheard of and may never happen again. These days won't be in the slightest bit restful, as they will be spent driving all over creation and talking to people other that are not each other, but we will be in the same room, likely sleeping in the same bed, and is a better deal than not seeing each other for days at a time. That run-on sentence was meant to deliver this sentiment: I miss my husband.

So far, OB has been pretty lame and it's really pissing me off. (I'm holding back for you, Grandma.) I have very high expectations from this rotation and so far I have been paired with two single girls with no kids who are likely five years younger than I am. That's all well and good, but when combined with their lack of interest in my experiences or interests, I have gotten several lectures about what contractions are like and how labor is not that hard but women overreact. A-HEM.

Colin had a Christmas party at Cheap and Close's tonight. There was singing and fudge and some Target dollar aisle gifts. All in all, it was pretty fun. Colin ruined everyone's concert by trying to sing along (still quite the amateur) and then screaming for a cracker. Good show, there. Then he stole someone else's fudge, which caused a slight ruckus but luckily there was more to be had. Colin several times went to her instead of me, which made me happy that he's comfortable with her but really, really angry for no good reason other than jealousy and guilt. Upon arriving to the party to pick Colin up, I hadn't seen him in two and a half days and, though he was clearly excited to see me, he went to Patrick and C&C when he fell and hit his head. Although, he might've been confused because of the injury. Let's go with that.

More soon, and with stories and pictures and possible even a positive attitude. For now, there is a dark, angry buzzing in my head that can only be remedied by sleep.

Hope you are all well and that you are able to play in snow this week.

3 Readers rock!:

XE said...

Oh Katie, I'm really sorry OB is sucking so far. Hope you get a fantastic night's sleep, and really enjoy your time off! Lots of hugs.

Katie said...

I hope it gets better for you too! My experiences have been that ALL rotations stink for about a week, then usually either even out or get way better. I'll be thinking of you when I trek up to Indy for Christmas! :)

Dragonfly said...

Sorry its been a let down.....I found OBGYN a letdown as well initially. There were later moments that bought back the awesomeness, but it was still a shame. Still, it does mean that it has scope for improvement.