Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Sep 25, 2010

A New Start

I took my exam on Wednesday, much to the dismay of the proctor who said, “I was really hoping you wouldn’t show. Nine hours is a long time for me to sit here.” I kept my cool that time, but by the end of the day, when he was still giving me grief about how long he had to stay because my exam was so long, I’d reached the upper limit of my patience, if you know what I’m saying. There might have been a curt, “You’re telling me” or maybe “ OMG DO YOU THINK I DON’T KNOW HOW LONG I’VE BEEN HERE”.

Regardless, I got through it and I hope it wasn’t awful and now. Now… Now I am breathing again. Patrick is once again charming and adorable, Colin has returned to his former state of glory, and life is once again sparkling and lovely. It’s almost – almost – worth going through all that stress and torture just because it feels so good to come out the other side intact.

I have a million projects in mind. First is Colin’s upcoming birthday party, so I’m trying to clean my house and get things ready. Somehow, I have become this DIY groupie, meaning I love the do-it-yourself look and creativity, but have never really tried to join the fun. So, I decided that once my exam was over, I was going to do several DIY projects: throw Colin an almost entirely homemade birthday party, make Colin’s Halloween costume, and make new pillows for the family room that I recently painted. My first project is the pillows, which I plan to start on in about ten minutes after I post this. I’ll let you know how it goes. Also on my list, I should study for my radiology final, which is Thursday, but it just seems so unimportant and silly after all the studying I’ve done in the last two months. How hard can it be, right?

I hope you are enjoying this weekend, even if you are working or stressing or too busy to notice that it is nice out or just busy enough that you can’t go out in it. I am trying to be better about enjoying life as it passes instead of always planning to be happy as soon as I get past the next hurdle. There are always going to be hurdles. I’m obviously still learning this particular lesson, but maybe we can work on it together.

1 Readers rock!:

Anonymous said...

I am a total stalker and I love your blog. I've never commented (I don't think), but I read it regularly. I have a friend going thru a rough time. I love your line about coming out the other side intact. I sent it to him.

I know you are going to be a fantastic doctor one day and wish you lived in my town. I'd go to you in a heartbeat.