Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Jun 15, 2009

And We're Back!

FINALLY we have internet. We are paying too much for it, something that 14 more phone calls might fix, but at least we are connected to the world again FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY.

As I mentioned: Don't ever move. It is all the bad things you remember and much, much more that you have blocked from your mind.

Despite all that, we made it. I have lots - LOTS - to tell you, but let me list the big ones for you quickly:

  • We moved. We bought, we sold, we moved. We are still unpacking, but the house is getting better, we can see the floors (and the filth) and almost everything has a place. I have approximately 9 boxes to go to Goodwill, if I can just get them by Patrick. I know, I know. Why I didn't determine that those 9 boxes of crap could go to a Lexington Goodwill is a question for the ages.
  • I started school today. I think I will survive, but this is a weird, weird place. The people are nice, the facilities are crazy beautiful, and I think I will get really good training here, but I don't know if I'll ever feel at home here at this school. But it's only two years, whatever.
  • Our neighbors are amazing. Did I tell you this? They threw us a BLOCK PARTY. Truly: they closed off the street at both ends, bought a $500 blow up water slide, made tons of food, and got a FIRETRUCK to come! The street is full of kids, all of whose heads exploded when the FIRETRUCK showed up. The kids (along with Patrick) climbed all over the truck, honked the horn, tried on the hat, turned on the lights, got their pictures taken sitting in the driver's seat. It was unbelievable. Also? On our moving day, our immediately next door neighbor brought over a picnic blanket, plastic forks and paper plates, a tub of ice cream, and a HOMEMADE APPLE PIE, saying that she thought we looked like we needed a snack. I almost cried.
  • I came home today, my first day of "work", to find this: PhotobucketHE STANDS UP BY HIMSELF NOW. My next post will detail how he toddled off and got a job at the local market bagging canned goods, which will be followed promptly by a post recounting his discovery of the cure for cancer. I'm going to go ahead and get this cliche out of the way now: I can't believe how fast he is growing up. This morning he couldn't stand up by himself. Now he can. Amazing.
  • I got an iphone! After drooling over them for almost 4 years, I decided to get one, then decided to wait for the new ones, then needed a local phone number, then offered Colin my old phone to chew on in a moment of desperation amid a particularly painful teething episode, then my old phone didn't work anymore, then I gave in and bought an iphone. And, if I may just tell you a secret, IT'S EVEN BETTER THAN I'D HOPED.
  • I have ACLS training tomorrow, so I have to go learn about that so I can pass the test and maybe someday shock your heart back into a normal rhythm. Before that, though, I need to download the facebook and twitter iphone apps so that I have something to distract me during ACLS tomorrow. Maybe it would be best to get someone who didn't have an iphone during ACLS training to do your emergency resuscitation. Just a thought.
Enjoy the backlog of posts that are coming. I've missed you.

2 Readers rock!:

Apryl said...

Welcome back to Indy! I am glad you are here :) Once you are settled and in a routine, let me know so we can set up a time to get together. Maybe we can let the kids go to a park or something. Enjoy the rest of your unpacking!

Tiff said...

Yay! Glad that you all are settling in!